We’re often asked if it’s worth signing up for My Account, the CRA’s secure online portal. The answer, every time, is yes. Even if you’ve already signed up, you might be surprised by everything you can do with My Account.
What’s so great about My Account?
Here are just a few of the fun things you can do with My Account:
- track your refund
- look at your tax returns
- change a previously filed tax return
- review your TFSA and RRSP limits
- look at some of your information slips (great if you misplaced a T4)
- see your carry forward amounts (including tuition and unapplied net losses)
- change your address, banking information, or marital status
- view your benefits and credits (including the CCTB and GST/HST credit)
- get online mail, including your notice of assessment
- use Auto-fill my return
The alternative to My Account, in many cases, involves waiting in a phone queue, digging out last year’s notice of assessment, or printing & mailing more forms to the CRA.
This sounds amazing! How do I sign up?
It’s a piece of cake: visit the My Account page. You can access some services immediately, but you’ll need to wait for a security code (which will arrive by mail in 5 to 10 days) to unlock all the features of My Account.