Teach taxes with SimpleTax.
Teaching Taxes is a CRA program that introduces high school and post-secondary students to Canada's tax system and teaches them how to prepare a simple income tax and benefit return. Educators interested in this program can learn more on the CRA's website.
SimpleTax as a Teaching Tool
We're strong supporters of tax education and educators like you. We believe Canadians should not only be able to do their own taxes, but understand them. This is why we offer an extension to the Teaching Taxes program for educators who wish to introduce their students to tax software and online tax filing.
SimpleTax can be used in place of, or in addition to, paper tax forms. As a teaching tool, SimpleTax:
- provides students with hands-on tax preparation software experience;
- runs in a web browser, so no installation is required and students can access their completed exercises at home or at school;
- updates your tax refund amount in real-time, so students can see how each number they enter impacts their tax return;
- allows students to see the completed paper form equivalents as they go;
- is free of charge and no special software license is required.
To help you incorporate SimpleTax into Teaching Taxes, we offer a companion guide. The guide includes educational material about how online tax filing works and step by step guides on how to complete the Teaching Taxes exercises using SimpleTax.
Interested in using SimpleTax with your students? Send us an email.