Last updated: January 8, 2020.
References to “SimpleTax”, “us”, “we” or similar terms means SimpleTax Software Inc.
Types of personal information we collect
SimpleTax needs to collect personal information from our users, either directly or through persons or entities acting on our behalf, in order to provide services to you. This information includes:
- personal information that you enter on an income tax form, including your name, address, social insurance number, and other identifying and contact information, in addition to your tax and financial information, and your e-mail address;
- personal information that you enter or otherwise provide when you register or open an account, sign in, use a service, contact us for support, or give us feedback;
- information for billing and payment purposes, including credit or debit card information, such as card number and card expiration date; and
- diagnostic and usage data to improve SimpleTax and ensure everything is working properly.
SimpleTax limits the collection of your personal information to the extent necessary to fulfill the purposes identified at the time of collection.
How we use your personal information
The personal information we collect when you open an account is used for the following purposes:
- to allow you to effectively complete and file your tax return;
- to verify your identity and other information you have provided to us;
- to manage our operations;
- to improve our product offering; and
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
Other ways we collect and use personal information
Marketing Communications: From time to time, we may obtain your consent to send you email, SMS text messages and other communications about SimpleTax products, services, or events that may be of interest to you. You can opt-out of receiving marketing and promotional email from us by following the unsubscribe instructions contained in each of our email communications. Please note that you will continue to receive email regarding your account and transactions with us. Alternatively, you can unsubscribe from any of our marketing communications by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Customer Service/Relationship Manager: If you contact us with a comment, question or complaint, you may be asked for information that identifies you (such as your name, address and a phone number) along with additional information we need to help us promptly answer your question or respond to your comment, question, or complaint. We may retain this information to assist you in the future and to improve our customer service and, product and service offerings.
When we access users’ personal information
We implement safeguards to protect personal information
Please visit our security page at simpletax.ca/security to learn more about how we protect your personal information.
We restrict disclosure of personal information
- Service Providers: We may transfer your personal information to our affiliates and other third party service providers who provide various services on our behalf such as identity verification, technology, administration, printing, marketing and advertising, hosting, data analysis, research, legal and accounting.
- Business Transactions: We may transfer any information we have about you as an asset in connection with a prospective or completed merger or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of SimpleTax or as part of a corporate reorganization or stock sale or other change in corporate control, including for the purpose of determining whether to proceed or continue with such transaction or business relationship.
We take privacy seriously
We will provide you with access to your information
Individuals have the right to access, update, and correct inaccuracies in his/her personal information in SimpleTax’s custody and control, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law. You may update certain profile information through your account settings. Otherwise, an individual wishing to request access, updating and corrections of inaccuracies in other of his or her personal information in our possession or control may send a written request to this effect to SimpleTax at the contact information below. We may request certain personal information for the purposes of verifying the identity of the individual seeking access to their personal information records.
SimpleTax Software Inc.
100 King Street West, Suite 6200
1 First Canadian Place
Toronto, ON M5X1B8
We collect and use information about your visit to our website
In general, you can visit our Website without indicating who you are or submitting any personal information. However, we collect and/or maintain the IP (Internet protocol) addresses of all visitors to the Website and other related information such as page requests, browser type, operating system and average time spent on the Website. We use this information to help us understand Website activity and to monitor and improve the Website.
Tracer Tags & Web Beacons: The Website may also use a technology called “tracer tags” or “Web Beacons”. This technology allows us to understand which pages you visit on the Website. These tracer tags are used to help us optimize and tailor the Website for you and other future visitors to the Website.
Website Analytics: We may use third parties to help us gather and analyze information about the areas visited on the Website in order to better understand, evaluate and improve the user experience and the convenience of the Website.
Social Media: We may offer you the opportunity to engage with our content on or through third-party social networking websites, plug-ins and applications. When you engage with our content on or through third-party social networking websites, plug-ins and applications, you may allow us to have access to certain information associated with your social media account (e.g., name, username, email address, profile picture, gender) to deliver the content or as part of the operation of the website, plug-in or application. When you provide information from your social media account, we may use this information to personalize your experience on the Website and on the third-party social networking websites, plug-ins and applications, and to provide you with other products or services you may request.
We use online advertising
To learn more about this behavioural advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit the Digital Advertising Alliance website at www.aboutads.info/choices/ or the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada website at www.youradchoices.ca/choices.
We may provide links to third party websites